Were you an Archie’s Comics fan back in the day like I was? If so, and you love makeup, check this out:
The collection is broken up into two parts. There is Betty (Cooper), consisting of lighter shades and Veronica (Lodge) made up of the traditional in-your-face dramatic colors. The collection is huge and as such will be this post but trust me, it’s worth it. If you don’t want to read my blather but see some live-and-in-color pics, check out this post on Specktra.com.
Betty Collection: MAC Archie’s Girls
- Girl Next Door Vivid blue pink (Lustre)
- Betty Bright Light vibrant peach (Satin)
- Oh, Oh, Oh Sheer brown plum (Lustre) (Repromote)
BIGA Intel says: Lustres and satins are not my favorite finishes, especially in lighter colors such as these. If you didn’t get your hands on Watch Me Simmer, Betty Bright would hold you over until a repromote happens.
- Summer Sweetheart Light peach
- Stay Sweet Light lavender pink
- Kiss & Don’t Tell Bright coral
BIGA Intel says: Lipglasses are more often than not a good value. If you have very pigmented lips, I would go straight for Kiss & Don’t Tell. If you already own Strange Potion from the MAC Disney Villains collection or Tour de Fabulous from Stylepacked, this shade is probably a skip for you.
PearlGlide Eye Liner
- Lord It Up Bronze with pearl
- Black Swan Black with gold pearl
BIGA Intel says: Pearlglide eyeliners are very long-wearing, go on smooth and sparkly and look amazing. Lord it Up would look best on light to medium skintones while Black Swan will compliment all skintones.
- Cheers My Dear Light lavender (Frost)
- Lucky in Love Shimmering light blue green (Frost)
BIGA Intel says: Frankly I haven’t been too pleased with the quality of MAC pigments of late. If you own any of the mineralize eye shadows close to light lavender or light blue green, best to go with those. Should you choose to go with these pigments, be sure to pick up some Mixing Medium from MACCosmetics.com. You’ll thank me later.
- Cream Soda Light neutral coral (Satin)
BIGA Intel says: This should be a nice color for light to medium skintones. I can’t see this one working on darker skintones very well. From the promo photos it looks a lot like NARS Gilda but performance could be another story.
Pearlmatte Face Powder
- Flatter Me Golden peach base (Shell Pearl Beauty Powder) with coral hearts (Foolish Me Powder Blush)
BIGA Intel says: This is the first time I’ve seen this type of product. A ‘beauty powder’ with blush ‘built in’. Beauty powders such as these seem to work best as an all-over face color for light to medium skintones, and as a nice highlighter for dark skintones. I will caution that if you have a dark skintone (NW/NC 45+) it’s best to try this in person to see if you like it.
Caramel Sundae Eyeshadow Palette
- Caramel Sundae Mid-tone warm tan (Satin)
- Cheryl Chic Light coral pink (Frost)
- Dreammaker Pale frosty yellow (Frost)
- Showstopper Dark, cool-toned brown (Matte) (Repromote)
BIGA Intel says: A nice collection of neutral shades. If you have very oily lids and/or have a dark skin tone, be sure to prep your lids with a paint pot like Painterly or Soft Ochre before applying to eyelids.
- Pep Pep Pep Light peach nude
- Comic Cute Bright coral
BIGA Intel says: I am not a huge fan of MAC’s nail polishes as I feel the price point is too high and the performance is no where near the level of Illamasqua or NARS. Check these lines for comparable dupes.
Veronica Collection: MAC Archie’s Girls
- Daddy’s Little Girl Mid-tone pink violet (Satin)
- Ronnie Red Bright red (Matte)
- Boyfriend Stealer Deep blackened plum (Cremesheen)
BIGA Intel says: While it’s in the satin finish I loathe, Daddy’s Little Girl seems to have such a high color saturation I still want it. Ronnie Red looks to finally be the bright blue-red I’ve been waiting for MAC to produce in forever (Ruby Woo looks like crap on me as does MAC Red and Russian Red). Boyfriend Stealer should be a hit with brown girls because of the deep, dark color. I will say that if you do not own Yung Rapunxnel (amplified finish), make sure to haul that color first before Boyfriend Stealer.
- Mall Madness Mid-tone pink violet
- Strawberry Malt Bright red
- Feelin’ So Good Deep blackened plum
BIGA Intel says: All of these look super-color-saturated the way true MAC addicts love their liplasses. Strawberry Malt will look amazing on dark skin over Ronnie Red, and Feelin’ So Good looks a lot like Wrong Spell from MAC Venomous Villains.
PearlGlide Eye Liner
- Petrol Blue Deep navy with pearl
- Designer Purple Violet with pearl
BIGA Intel says: Forget Designer Purple and go straight for Petrol Blue. Why? Not only does Petrol Blue look intensely amazing, it goes on smooth without issue. Designer Purple isn’t as vibrant nor goes on as smooth as Petrol Blue. Unless MAC has changed the formula recently, I don’t see myself getting another Designer Purple. But Petrol Blue? You can never have too many.
- Black Poodle Blackened pink (Frost)
- Magic Spells Blackened teal (Frost)
BIGA Intel says: From swatches I’ve seen, Black Poodle doesn’t look too impressive on and frankly it looks like MAC’s Beauty Marked (Velvet) eyeshadow. If you were lucky enough to get Moonlight Night pigment from MAC’s A Tartan Tale collection, you can skip Magic Spells.
- Prom Princess Mid-tone violet pink (Satin)
BIGA Intel says: Its violet pink, Veronica is on it. Get it.
Pearlmatte Face Powder
- Veronica’s Blush Silvery pink base (Play it Proper beauty powder) with deep pink hearts (Frankly Scarlet blush)
BIGA Intel says: I passed on Play it Proper beauty powder and as I already own ‘Too Chic’ and MAC’s Salsarose blush (MAC Pro), I’m passing on this.
Spoiled Rich Eyeshadow Palette
- Spoiled Rich Rich purple (Frost)
- Ron Ron Run Deep navy (Satin)
- Pin-Up Purple Mid-tone orchid (Frost)
- Gravel Charcoal (Matte)
BIGA Intel says: The compact looks pretty, and the colors look nice, but check your stash first and check it twice. These four colors look a lot like MAC Stars & Rockets, Atlantic Blue, Parfait Amour and some other dark charcoal grey color eyeshadow MAC has out. My first instinct is that these colors are dupeable but the palette is more about convenience than the colors included.
- Past Curfew Deep berry
- Double Trouble Deep navy
BIGA Intel says: See my notes under Betty. Intel is still the same.
My being a huge fan of the Archie comics, and of course totally on Team Veronica, I am very excited about this collection! So much so that I found this bonus ‘cheat sheet’ you MUST print out and circle to note what you want. The collection is rumored to launch on MACCosmetics.com on January 30th but you probably want to start stalking the site before then.
Still here? It’s like you’re looking for that ‘bonus scene’ at the end of the movie credits. Well, here ya go!